Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Nothing to lose but blood


Sumulong ka, anak-pawis
Huwag alintanain batuta ng pulis”
(a marching song for the working class)

Dantoy and I struck a covenant in February to follow Totoy Bato’s roller coaster of ups and downs. Congratulate me. So far, I have only missed 12 episodes of that show. We have added “True Blood” into our pact, a show so true to its title. Totoy Bato sheds blood for justice while the vampires in True Blood simply live for it.

Dantoy has a bizarre sense of humor. Once, we were playing with Georgelablab and when that muff is so full of himself, all too content of the attention lavished on him, he can’t keep his mouth completely closed. Maybe, that’s his version of a smile. Naturally, his fangs are exposed. This did not escape Dantoy’s observation which prompted him to say, “Te, vampire man ni si George.” Both of us cracked up which baffled the hell out of George. Poor baby, he could not understand why we were acting crazy around him. A vampire of a dog? Hmm…

I relish my bonding time with Dantoy. How I wish there were no constraints to his mental development so we could talk about the charm of philosophy or the death of ideology, just anything to stretch the discussion to absurdity.

For instance, we could theorize that “True Blood” could have been inspired by Das Kapital or Alan Ball, the show’s creator, could be KM’s devout disciple.

Listen to KM: “Capital, vampire-like, lives only by sucking living labor and lives the more, the more labor it sucks.”

How is that for vitality of expression? KM is a poet even on a bad day. I remember my PolEcon professor who is openly Marxist, lamenting that Marxists may not be good at predicting revolutions and their outcome but they make good poets. Well, he has not read Joma Sison’s old poems – consistently lifeless, if it’s not blasphemous to say so.

KM’s apocalyptic tone in “There is a spectre haunting Europe…” evokes subtlety but “capital, vampire-like sucks labor” is a winner. How I wish I could write like that. Hell, yeah, he is not consistently boring as some of his disciples are.

Maybe I should send a memo to myself – read KM again this summer and perhaps, a dose of Kafka. I have not read KM in years. Well, I have not read at all for almost a year, fiction or otherwise, because of my illness. I am just too happy I could read again without tiring too soon.

No comments: