Monday, August 10, 2009

Poems for "Bigo" (not Big O, if you get my drift)


I came across Anne Carson’s “The Beauty of the Husband” weeks ago – And so why did I love him from early girlhood to late middle age/And the divorce decree came in the mail?/Beauty, no great secret/ Not ashamed to say I loved him for his beauty/As I would again if he came near/Beauty convinces/You know beauty makes sex possible/Beauty makes sex, sex/

This made me reflect on damage, er, marriage, what’s the spelling? Or how is it spelled? – these were the running jokes in college. My friend Godo even had a wisecrack “Marriage? You must be tired of living.”

I can count by my left hand the number of times I’ve attended a wedding in the last 5 years. I guess my friends prefer to live in sin or are mostly gay and can’t get married or are mostly dry-eyed spinsters like me. Oftentimes, I jest that the prime benefit of marriage is the sex becoming legal but not necessarily better.

As the poem suggests, will love transcend the loss of beauty? Will sex and sex alone keep the marital bed burning? Carole King sang “Will you still love me tomorrow?” which is a far realistic love song than say, “I love you more today than yesterday but not as much as tomorrow” which is a bit spaced-out talking about the future on certain terms – pure baloney.

All the jadedness aside, it sure takes a lot of balls to decide to get married and remain married. I used to say that I could not imagine myself organizing my life around a single person but Georgelablab, this abandoned pup looking so lost and earnest outside the dorm, wormed his doggie charm into my heart and I found my life literally revolving around a dog and I was not even raised to be a dog-lover. This is not to compare a dog to a husband but in terms of affections and commitment involved, it’s almost on the same plane.

What makes marriages tick? There are formulas and there are formulae. Most people are convinced it’s having a dynamic communication. From where I sit, it’s more of self-sacrifice – staying faithful, forgiving shortcomings, putting yourself in the shoes of the other, agreeing to disagree, humbling oneself, all these demand sacrifice. Not unless one is prepared to go the distance should the idea of marriage be even entertained.

Fidelity-this will spawn volumes and volumes of treatise and I remember a bittersweet poem I read in college – I went downtown tonight/to the capital under the clear moon/I came home: what did I see?/Four legs under my quilt/Used to be two of them were mine/but what about the other two?/ Tonight, I’m sure of this/the other two are not mine. (“Song,” Cho Yong)

Poetry isn’t exactly the most popular artform but its power isn’t exactly diminished. I’ve started posting poems I like at FS and the reactions I receive are unexpectedly tremendous. Poetry has an audience contrary to some notions that it has no effect on people, specially the younger set. This poem was well-received so I am reposting it here.

My Husband Discovers Poetry (Diane Lockward, from Eve's Red Dress,Wind Publications)

Because my husband would not read my poems,
I wrote one about how I did not love him.
In lines of strict iambic pentameter,
I detailed his coldness, his lack of humor.
It felt good to do this.
Stanza by stanza, I grew bolder and bolder.
Towards the end, struck by inspiration,
I wrote about my old boyfriend,
a boy I had not loved enough to marry
but who could make me laugh and laugh.
I wrote about a night years after we parted
when my husband's coldness drove me from the house
and back to my old boyfriend.
I even included the name of a seedy motel
well-known for hosting quickies.
I have a talent for verisimilitude.
In sensuous images, I described
how my boyfriend and I stripped off our clothes,
got into bed, and kissed and kissed,
then spent half the night telling jokes,
many of them about my husband.
I left the ending deliberately ambiguous,
then hid the poem awayin an old trunk in the basement.
You know how this story ends,
how my husband one day loses something,
goes into the basement,
and rummages through the old trunk,
how he uncovers the hidden poemand sits down to read it.
But do you hear the strange sounds
that floated up the stairs that day,
the sounds of an animal, its paw caught
in one of those traps with teeth of steel?
Do you see the wounded creature
at the bottom of the stairs,
his shoulders hunched over and shaking,
fist in his mouth and choking back sobs?
It was my husband paying tribute to my art.

(graphics by www.slowpokecomics.com
)

5 comments:

alex m castillo said...

sex when done regularly becomes boring. especially if you are doing it with the same person over and over again.hahaha!

i cannot imagine myself getting married and becomes stuck with the same stick all my life hahaha!

tailwagger said...

to each his own, Alex but yeah, I get yah. Variety, that's the word.

Sweet Faith said...

Dear Dyn Dyn,

How Are you? Hope everything is well with you. Just want you to know that I read your blogs every now and then and every chance that I can. Your blog is intellectually stimulating as it is entertaining and a bit disturbing at times in a nice way..i am very proud of you.

Well, as for this article,...eeergh, I cant help myself but to say a few words about marriage.(hehehehe..pardon me,,medyo bias kita yana)..well for one I just got married this year and I have to say that marriage is indeed meant for people who truly believe in the power of love. Corny as it may sound but it is the truth.

Unless, one has learned to embrace and contemplate the essence of self-sacrifice, one should not enter into it. The essence of love anyhow is sacrifice. Whatever or whoever it is that you love,it is a must to understand the concept of denying one's convenience or comfort.

However, when done with love, with dignity and with a grateful heart, one can fully submit himself to self-sacrifice without qualms or complaint.

The paradox of life is what it is. It is only when we sacrifice that we achieve our greater sense of purpose in life.

Amisdt all the negative things about marriage, I dare say that marriage is not just really about sex. It goes beyond that. Much more than that. There is more to life than sex anyway. It should not be used to escape or satisfy one's unfulfilled wishes as it destroys the gift of love and respect.

More than the physical aspect of it, marriage is an emotional-filled journey of two people who love each other as it is shared with the world they both love and cared for.

Marriage is also about friendship, and partnership at its best. Its also about raising a family.

Raising children and helping them to create a life of their own. Shaping their hearts and their minds to becoming the best person they could possibly be. Sharing these children to the world to help this world a far better place for the unborn.

As marriage is the fountain of family..it becomes a dynamic force either to help build a community or destroy it. With all the anxieties and cynicism about matters of the heart, with all the humiliation, uncertainties and unrequited devotions, with all the stories of a love lost and found--marriage heals these wounds.

When entered into with the purest of intentions..marriage is a fulflling path to take. It is also a journey to discover one's strength, capacity for endurance, and weaknesses to all life's intricacies and complexities.

Humans as we are, we are said to succumb to our temporary needs....which does not necessarily translate to happines...but marriage gives us a sense of permanence, of peace and belongingness that through the adversities of life we have someone to discuss all the trivial things of this world over a cup of coffee every morning...

tailwagger said...

Sweet Faith, if there's one person to illuminate on the joys of marriage...you're right, sex, even romance, they are overrated but it's one giant industry, the sex industry, I mean. Think of mags, paraphernalia, human trafficking, what-have-you because let's face it, it sells. Or should I say, anything that is fetishized, capital will find a way to market it.

there are 24 hours in a day, you can't possibly waste them on sex but on the other hand, why the hell not? But yeah, in the long term, we look at a different dynamics transcending mere physical gratification.

Sometimes, I survey my friends. Do you know any married couple delirously happy? Neglectful of the fact that my grandparents were a happy, funny, bickering couple till the very end.

After some time, it's not so much the weekend getaways but weekends at home, cocooning, overlapping personal space/s, minds and hearts intertwining, rediscovering the immeasurables.

And over a cup of kape - it's my own idea of bliss myself.

Salamuch, SF! Ha sunod nga pasaro....

bingthegreat said...

Hi Ate Dyn, don't know if you've visited Diane Lockward's blog yet: http://dianelockward.blogspot.com/

Because of this poem of hers that you posted here, I just might write her a short letter...she says in her blog that she lives in New Jersey, bangin man la ma-meet ko hiya! She recently organized a poetry party. sounds nice! unta makaapi ako sunod, bathe myself in the aura and voices of poets.

Salamat for introducing DL to us! :)

-Bing0