Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The Sky is a Landfill



A Jeff Buckley bio-pic in the offing, I just read in an entertainment website. Two names are being tossed: James Franco and "Twilight" star Robert Pattinson to play him. Even if I find James Franco beautiful, I will have no moral baggage ripping his throat out if he screws up. Oopps, this is not an open endorsement for him to ink the deal or am I that easy.... to read?

As an adorer, shall I compose chants of resistance with my naked voice? Shall I organize the army to storm the gates of Hollywood, pointedly criticizing the thematic conceit of these producers that they can serve justice to the memory of a gifted artist in full benediction?

There is nothing that would enthrall me than for people to create sequels after sequels of Buckley, stubbornly refusing to let his legacy die but a bio-pic? I have to lend some misgivings. Isn't "Amazing Grace" enough? Must some people continue to make money out of his short and brutish life?

"Opened Once," is ringing in my head: "I am a railroad track abandoned, with the sunset forgetting that I ever happened, that I ever happened." It's my "Hello, Pain hymn" as I am fond of setting a musical score to my personal mythologies. I have a soundtrack for almost anything - a soundtrack for doing laundry, a soundtrack for scrubbing floors, a sountrack to get a spiritual lift, and so on. Anything to get me going.

I cannot imagine anyone singing with so much consecration the haunting lines "Just like the ocean, always in love with the moon...We fly right over the minds of so many in pain. We are the smile of the light that brings them rain. In the half-light where we both stand, in the half-light, you saw me as I am." (Opened Once)

Frak! These rebellious tears so early in the day.

5 comments:

Betti Gefecht said...

a singer's POV on this,
plus: sound examples of them both for you to judge:

http://bettimusictwilight.blogspot.com/2009/06/rob-pattinson-jeff-buckley.html

tailwagger said...

thanks, will check it later. I promise to keep an open mind on mr. pattinson.

tailwagger said...

Looks like this project is taking off but as i wrote in www.bettimusictwilight.blogspot.com, i will not be dragged in a referendum as to among this batch of talented actors can play buckley best. what is certain is that it shall be a career-defining role for anyone who nails the part.

Anonymous said...

dyn, your blog is really very informative. more so, for lazy pips like me...naku, between rob and james, i prefer james (as if my vote counts haha). i cried when he died in spidey LOL...but yeah, whoever plays buckley better do justice or else....hugs, Petra

tailwagger said...

ano, mag-signature campaign tayo for James, bwahaha.

Pattinson is box-office draw, thanks to Twilight so producers might warm up to him more than our James.

James is such a cool dork. He seems to be having a lot of fun. I saw him goofing, spoofing some movie scenes in an awards show, the guy is just joyous.